Butter Pecan Turtle Cookies
350° 9x13 pan
2 c. flour
1 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. butter
Combine base ingred, beat well, scraping bowl.
Pat firmly in ungreased 9x13 pan.
Sprinkle 1 c. pecan halves over unbaked base.
Prepare Caramel Layer:
2/3 c. butter
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
Heat together in heavy saucepan, stirring constantly, until entire surface begins
to boil. Boil 1/2 to 1 min, stirring constantly. Pour hot mixture over nuts atop base.
Bake 18-22 min or until entire caramel layer is bubbly and crust is golden
brown. Immediately sprinkle with 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Let chips melt, then spread a tiny bit. Cool before cutting.
Double Lemon Bars
1 1/2 c. white flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
3/4 c. butter, cut into pieces (@ room temp)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 T. plus 1 t. flour
1 T. grated lemon peel (or more)
350° oven, 9x13 pan
Combine 1 1/2 c. flour and 1/2 c. powdered sugar in large bowl.
Add butter and cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Press mixture into bottom of baking dish. Bake until golden brown, approx
10-15 min (watch). Remove from oven, leaving oven on.
Beat eggs, 1 1/2 c. sugar, lemon juice, 1 T plus 1 t. flour and lemon
peel in medium bowl. Pour over crust. Bake until mixture is set,
approximately 20 min. Cool and cut into 24-48 bars. Sift powdered
sugar over top before serving.
Holiday Cherry Cheese Bars
1 cup pecan pieces, divided
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Crisco
2 packages (8 oz. ea.) cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling
1. Heat oven to 350F. Grease 13x9x2 inch pan with Crisco. Set aside.
2. Chop 1/2 cup nuts coarsely for topping. Set aside. Chop remaining 1/2 cup finely.
3. For crust, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in Crisco until fine crumbs form. Add 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts. Mix well. Remove 1/2 cup. Set aside. Press remaining crumbs in bottom of pan. Bake at 350F for 12 minutes, until edges are lightly browned.
4. For filling, beat cream cheese, granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla in small bowl at medium speed of electric mixer until smooth. Spread over hot baked crust. Return to oven. Bake 15 minutes longer.
5. Spread cherry pie filling over cheese layer.
6. Combine reserved coarsely chopped nuts and reserved crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over cherries. Return to oven. Bake 15 minutes longer. Cool. Refrigerate several hours. Cut into bars, about 2 x 1 1/2 inches.
Makes 36 bars.
Friendship or Russian Tea
Sift together over a large bowl:
2 c. sugar
3 c. Tang
1 c. Countrytime Lemonade mix
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cloves
Place 3 heaping teaspoons of mixture in a mug, add boiling water.
Relax and think on God's things.
Sparkling Holiday Punch
In punch bowl, mix just before serving:
Spoon scoops of Raspberry Sherbet over mixture.
Serve in punch cups.
1 bunch fresh Asaparagus
3 T. Olive oil
Remove tough ends from washed asparagus. Place in bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Place in a single layer on baking sheet and roast at 400˚for 15 min. or 450˚ for 10 min. This is the basic recipe and is very good. Variations include adding parmesan cheese near the end of the roasting time, serving with lemon wedges OR adding Italian or Greek type herbs. Other recipes add sesame seeds and sesame oil for an Asian flavor trip.